Friday, December 16, 2011

It's really weird...

…how sometimes my thoughts come to me only in English. The same phenomenon occurred while I was living in Finland in 1990s. Well, I used to think in Finnish then, of course. I never really liked Finnish language, especially before I moved to Rovaniemi – yes, yes, Rovaniemi in Lapland, near Korvatunturi, where supposedly lives the one and only Joulupukki but soon enough, I started to enjoy saying Finnish phrases, which in so many occasions were much more suitable than Estonian ones. For example – if you have been lucky enough to see ‘Muumilaakson tarinoita’ in Finnish, you just cannot bear hearing it in Estonian. Well, come on – how on earth can you translate ‘pikku Myyn’ talk during her fly on the back of the kite: “Jos putoan näin korkealta niin minusta tulee muhennosta!” It sounds terrific in Finnish. It is impossible to translate so that it would give you the exact same feeling. And all those cute little words that sound similar but have completely different meaning in Estonian :) One can laugh his head off because of the ‘hallitus’ ;) Therefore, I fell in love with Finnish language. I remember that during my Finnish studies I had to translate loads of sentences into English and Russian. Namely, we had Finnish language course for foreigners. And these foreigners had lived in Finland already for some time, mostly married to a Finn, yet none of them could speak proper Finnish. They did speak Russian, English and French, though. That particular course marked the beginning of my English studies. I have been addicted to English language and especially to Scotland ever since. I wonder why I didn’t catch any French though... It would be nice to show off with some French phrases. Merci or s’il vous plait are not nearly enough... But I remember something else, too. During my soviet childhood, almost all films were dubbed into Russian, and there was no chance to hear any other foreign language... except songs in Indian films of course – damn they were good back then! Obviously, I used to talk to myself in Russian in those days because this was the only other language I knew. To be honest, I talk to myself all the time. And almost never in Estonian. It is like my other me has decided that using different language is the best way of arguing with my first me. Or second. It’s difficult to say which one is which. Sometimes it feels like there are more than two... Hmm, I have to acquire another foreign language soon. Japanese maybe? Sayonara.

No comments:

Post a Comment